Celebrating 150 Years of Ministry in the Mountains
In 1873, six people, three of whom were women, gathered in worship in the small village of Hinton, West Virginia. These founders of the First Presbyterian Church of Hinton first worshipped in a building used as a Court House and later in a schoolhouse. In June 1874, a commission was appointed by the Greenbrier Presbytery to organize the First Presbyterian Church of Hinton. The first session of the church was made up of Messrs. Carl A Fredeking, E.A. Weeks, and Hiram Scott and members: Mrs. Hiram Scott, Mrs. Wills, and Mrs. C. A. Sperry.
Worshipping once a month in the First Baptist Church building with Presbytery appointed supply ministers, then a youthful seminary student, P. F. Brown, our first full-time pastor was called and Rev. H.R. Laird arrived in Hinton to serve in 1876. The congregation gradually grew and in 1886 the original First Presbyterian Church building was erected at 207 Temple Street, just to the right of what is presently the Summers County Public Library. (At that time a domestic building was on the corner). By 1910, the congregation had grown to 230 members and in 1916 began its ministry at the Summers County Jail every Sunday from 4:00-5:00 p.m., with Mrs. H. J. Edmonds playing a small organ that is still treasured by our church, a reminder of our early commitment to outreach and mission.
With such continued growth in a booming railroad town, plans for the present building were approved in 1916 and the lot was purchased at 221 Ballengee Street in 1918. The building was completed in 1922. A Skinner Organ was installed, a gift from the Robert F. Dunlap family. Various ministers had served our church over the years, and in 1928 Rev. Dr. A.H. Clarke arrived, contributing outstanding leadership and personal commitment to guide the church until 1946. During these years Hinton reached its peak population and the church kept pace.
As area population declined, so did our numbers, but spiritual growth continued through youth musical programs, expanded fellowship activities, a Kindergarten organized by church members, many ecumenical ministries, and a strong community presence committed to outreach. In 1982, the church started our Food Pantry which continues today, over 40 years later. A Community Lunch is a more recent outreach ministry, held at our church monthly, it has now extended to Hinton House Apartments. A significant endowment by lifetime member Harold Hulme and gifts from others allow us to support our church missions and offer help to the community in many ways. Because of such generosity, we were able to repair and renovate our beautiful 100-year-old stained glass windows, the three phases completed in 2023.
As we look to the future years of hope and promise for the First Presbyterian Church of Hinton, the quality of congregational spiritual life and outreach will be the barometer of faithfulness to the church’s mission. The hope and prayers remain that the same faithfulness to our Lord Jesus Christ which has sustained the church its first 150 years will characterize the ministry of this church in the future. We pray for God’s guidance, trusting He will be working His purpose out and will bring to fruition that work which he began in our great-grandparents and continues in and through us. To Him be the glory now and forever.